pre-Christmas walk in the country

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 11 months ago #87124 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: pre-Christmas walk in the country
I took a walk this morning at the National Trust's Polesden Lacey estate near Dorking in Surrey. Accompanied by my daughter, son-in-law and two small grand-daughters we braved a biting cold wind on the shortest day of the year, only 7h51 between sunrise and sunset. In fact it hardly got light at all due to the heavy cloud cover. The main reason for being there was to let my grand-daughters meet Santa and have a ride around the grounds on Santa's sleigh (pulled by two very embarrassed looking Suffolk Punch horses with red noses and reindeer antlers).

On the way back from the children's playground to get a very welcome cup of hot coffee we walked right past the Bird Hide (I hadn't realised they had one), which was actually more of a wicker screen with viewing holes overlooking bird feeders strung from the trees. I took the opportunity to photograph Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch and a Rose-ringed Parakeet, as well as introduce my grand-daughters to the finer points of birdwatching.

Whether it was a Christmas present or a beginner birder's introduction to birding we were fortunate enough to pick up a UK lifer in Eurasian Nuthatch

All the best for the Christmas season to all Simply Birding followers.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 10 months ago #87127 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: pre-Christmas walk in the country
Good one Neil!

Hope you are having a fantastic Christmas!

It's been a hot one here in Brisbane spent mostly in the pool!

Cheers,
Gordon and Sarah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.