Sneeky Piet-my-vrou

how to go about the daily art or birding (Photography, camoflage, Twitching, recording etc)

Moderators: nkgray, gordon, Doug

Johan van Rensburg
Shrike
World Life List: 785
Home Country Life List: 626
World Photographed: 665
Home Country Photographed: 570
Garden List: 78
Latest Lifers: Wattled crane and great-winged petrel.
South Africa

Sneeky Piet-my-vrou

Postby Johan van Rensburg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:27 am

This is the second year that a Piet-my-vrou (red-chested cuckoo) has been heard calling from our residence. It has just returned from wherever they got for the colder months. Again all efforts to spot this bird fails. Whenever one touches a door knob or window handle the bird goes quiet. Any suggestions as to a strategy that will give one a view of the bird and maybe even a photo opportunity?

Doug
Site Admin
World Life List: 685
Home Country Life List: 651
World Photographed: 0
Home Country Photographed: 0
Garden List: 96
Latest Lifers: Garden Warbler
South Africa

Postby Doug » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:48 am

All I can say is good luck. One day you will be lucky enough to get a rare opportunity to see one in the open but it does not happen often. Generally at best you will get a glimpse of one as it flies to another tree.

Cheers.
Doug
Latest Lifer: Collared Flycatcher

mossie
Bustard
World Life List: 630
Home Country Life List: 565
Garden List: 78
Latest Lifers: Victorin's warbler, black eared sparrowlark, Layard's titbabler, Karoo Koorhaan
South Africa

Postby mossie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:45 am

You can see loads of them, this time of year, in the kloofs of the Magaliesberg. Access is a bit tricky, as most of it is private land, but you can get permits from the Mountain club of South Africa to visit these pristine area's. They are also great places to spot Veraux eagle, cape vulture and lazy cisticola.

Johann
Kingfisher
World Life List: 556
Home Country Life List: 556
Garden List: 0
Latest Lifers: Green-capped Eremomela (Doorndraai dam, Limpopo)
Pallid Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, Common Quail, Common Cuckoo (northern KNP)
South Africa

Postby Johann » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:03 pm

We've had one calling around the house for the last 2 weeks or so. Whenever I hear it I just run out the back door and hope for a sighting. Had me running around the house, flying from tree to tree, before finally allowing us a glimpse.
Must say that our bird have been very obliging since then. Sat still in a big tree behind our house and also on the telephone lines making it possible to get a positive id and some pics.
Not always easy to see it straight away. You can hear it calling from 4 metres away but can see nothing!

You can see some of the pics here
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

northcliffbirder81
Shrike
Home Country Life List: 858
World Photographed: 75
Home Country Photographed: 75
Garden List: 35
South Africa

Re: Sneeky Piet-my-vrou

Postby northcliffbirder81 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:32 pm

The coucal, grey headed bush shrike, piet my vrou and dideric cuckoo are those birds for me, ESPECIALLY THAT GREY HEADED BUSH SHRIKE which I once heard in a tree 10m in front of me, they're all hiding from me for a quick laugh. At least I've seen the coucal, but the rest are just mean! :lol:

Return to “Birding Techniques”