Twinspot
Home Country Life List: 627
Garden List: 58
Latest Lifers: Red-winged Francolin, Senegal Lapwing
South Africa

Shanghai - Trip report, Sep 2012

Postby Lejint » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:11 am

Hi all,

To start off, I had no replies from the Birdpals site, so I relied on info gathered on the internet, i.e. other birders' trip reports. What became very clear, very quickly was that birding in Shanghai is very difficult: different culture/language, hot, humid, very few suitable habitats within the city limits, very few birds (species and absolute numbers) and the birds are very people shy. This all turned out to be true. And lastly, I could not get a field guide in time, and neither my preferred choice: an iPhone app. This was a blessing in disguise - I created my own guide from photos off the net, and saved as a PDF on my phone. I had to do a lot of research in preparation - where to go bird, which species occur where, and their calls.

I arrived on Sunday noon (2 Sep) - it was HOT. Two fellow colleagues were nice enough to meet me at the airport so that the trip on the metro system to the hotel went as smooth and quick as possible - they knew I planned to do some scouting on my first day. After freshening up, we hit the streets. It was clear from the arrival at the airport that birding was going to be tough - I saw a single Tree Sparrow from the moment we touched down, till we reached the hotel. Quite shocking. As a matter of fact, I hardly saw any other living animals or insects. The rest of the afternoon was spent in the inner city parks - I picked up some of the usuals: Blackbird, Light-vented Bullbul and Spotted Dove.

But I was there for business, so birding once again had to happen very early in the mornings. Monday, 5am, off to The Bund to see the gulls, herons and maybe some waders. Very disappointing - only got to see Little Egrets and a single Black-crowned Night Heron. And then I got stuck in Shanghai's peak morning traffic on the metro. I realised that I would not be able to do birding early mornings anymore, I could not pitch up late for work everyday.

Luckily work ended early on Thursday and Friday, and I had half of Saturday before I had to leave, so I made one trip to the Botanical Gardens and 3 trips to Century Park, the latter being to most productive. Here's my list for the week:

Common Pheasant (seen from the airplane window as we were about to take off)
Common Hoopoe
Common Kingfisher
Spotted Dove
Common Moorhen
Little Grebe
Little Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
Brown Shrike
Long-tailed Shrike
Azure-winged Magpie
Japanese Paradise-flycatcher
Grey-streaked Flycatcher
Common Blackbird
Crested Myna (only 2!)
Great Tit (my favourite)
Goldcrest
Light-vented Bulbul
Oriental Reed Warbler
Vinous-throated Parrotbill
Eurasian Tree Sparrow
White Wagtail
Eastern Yellow Wagtail
Yellow-billed Grosbeak
Japanese Grosbeak

I did also see a Chinese Hwamei, but it was in a cage at a market where a lot of other wild animals and birds are sold. Very sad.

All and all, a very interesting trip - I was though hoping I'd get at least 30 species. Next time, I'll add an extra day to go outside the city, then hopefully see some of those specials: cranes and waders.

Cheers till next time,
Henk

Doug
Site Admin
World Life List: 685
Home Country Life List: 651
World Photographed: 0
Home Country Photographed: 0
Garden List: 96
Latest Lifers: Garden Warbler
South Africa

Postby Doug » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks for sharing.

Would love to bird that region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Latest Lifer: Collared Flycatcher

Lejint
Twinspot
Home Country Life List: 627
Garden List: 58
Latest Lifers: Red-winged Francolin, Senegal Lapwing
South Africa

Re: Shanghai - Trip report, Sep 2012

Postby Lejint » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks Doug.

Btw, just one correction - the Great Tit is in actual fact the Japanese Tit, there recently was a split in this species.

H

Doug
Site Admin
World Life List: 685
Home Country Life List: 651
World Photographed: 0
Home Country Photographed: 0
Garden List: 96
Latest Lifers: Garden Warbler
South Africa

Postby Doug » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:36 pm