Wind Farms and Birds

Share what you are doing to reduce your carbon footprint with alternative energy sources

Moderators: nkgray, gordon, Doug

michaelt
Kingfisher
World Life List: 0
Home Country Life List: 541
World Photographed: 0
Home Country Photographed: 519
Garden List: 0
Latest Lifers: Black-winged Pratincole, Lesser Black-backed Gull
South Africa

Wind Farms and Birds

Postby michaelt » Wed May 04, 2011 7:02 pm

I am employed by the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) and one of our new mandates relate to green energy. I am also involved in rural development and rural economic development. Within this context the DBSA is increasingly expected to participate in the planning and discourse related to wind energy and wind farms.

It is clear that the environmental debate related to the said practice is uncoordinated and incomplete (positions, requirements, standards, etc). The DBSA will probably try to facilitate the integration of the debate and stakeholders / role players. This will be initiated at a project level in the Western Cape and might be expanded to a national level.

If anybody has information, knowledge, opinions, and energy that you would like to invest / share in this regard you are welcome to contact me at michaelt@dbsa.org, or 082 4927 443. I think it is imperative that birders participate in this "search for appropriate answers".

I have forwarded all the article that was posted on SBF in this regard to my colleagues.

Regards
Michael

mossie
Bustard
World Life List: 630
Home Country Life List: 565
Home Country Photographed: 0
Garden List: 78
Latest Lifers: Victorin's warbler, black eared sparrowlark, Layard's titbabler, Karoo Koorhaan
South Africa

Re: Wind Farms and Birds

Postby mossie » Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Michael

I am good friends with a Finnish guy who did all the bird impact work for some of the the wind farms in Finland. If you like, I can help you get in contact with him. He is a mine of information, regarding the type considerations you need to put in place to reduce the bird mortality from the turbines.

Regards,

Mossie

michaelt
Kingfisher
World Life List: 0
Home Country Life List: 541
Home Country Photographed: 519
Garden List: 0
Latest Lifers: Black-winged Pratincole, Lesser Black-backed Gull
South Africa

Postby michaelt » Tue May 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks Mossie. You must please forward his details to me and I will make contact with him even if no study takes place. Susch resources are scarce and it will be great to communicate to him. (Every foreigner and his dog currently wants to construct wind farms, and it would be in SA's interest to speak to knowledgable people)

Regards

Michael

DaveR
Coucal
World Life List: 552
Home Country Life List: 549
World Photographed: 516
Home Country Photographed: 514
Garden List: 98
Latest Lifers: Lesser Black-Backed Gull
Sooty Tern
Sanderling
Collared Pratincole
Eastern Nicator
South Africa

Postby DaveR » Tue May 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey Michael - I take it the dogs are interested 'cos there are fewer trees available.....

Dave

Return to “Alternative energy sources”