Photo Editing Software

Discussions on camera settings, techniques for taking the photo and how to use your post processing software.

Moderators: nkgray, gordon, Doug

Rudolph
Shrike
World Life List: 0
Home Country Life List: 538
World Photographed: 0
Home Country Photographed: 223
Garden List: 0
Latest Lifers: Lesser Moorhen, Allen's Gallinule
South Africa

Photo Editing Software

Postby Rudolph » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:38 am

Hi there

I am looking at getting better photo edit software. I have the free stuff I recieved with the camera (DPP and Paint Shop).

I like to get more out of my photo's and get a more professional look.

What are you guys using?

I am considering Photoshop elements.

Cheers

Rudolph

Jon
Shrike
South Africa

Re: Photo Editing Software

Postby Jon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:38 am

i use a program called "photofillre" whick is basically a free-ware version of photoshop. you can download it from a website called www.snapfiles.com. i would give it a try before you consider purchasing any programs as i was actually given photoshop CS3 and i prefer using the free one!

nkgray
Bustard
World Life List: 2031
Home Country Life List: 0
World Photographed: 1666
Home Country Photographed: 0
Latest Lifers: Short-toed Snake Eagle, Dartford Warbler, Iberian Chiffchaff, European Serin, Cirl Bunting, Short-toed Treecreeper, Western Swamphen, Little Crake
Great Britain

Postby nkgray » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:51 am

Rudolph,

Each to his own when it comes to editing software. It just depends on what you want to do with it. I took the view once I had bought my first Canon that I needed some "decent" software to process RAW images, but I am not in the business of producing professional quality images (I'd have a better camera and lens if I was), and neither did I have the time or the inclination to learn to use the full capabilities of a package like Photoshop CS2, now CS3. So layering and all those nice things are way beyond me - and will stay that way till I retire and have the time to spend learning the 90%+ of Photoshop that I don't/wouldn't use. So, I went for Photoshop Elements. I can crop, resize, adjust saturation, tone, highlights, shadows, etc., do sharpening that is essential with RAW files - but that is all, and I'm sure you can do that with lots of packages out there. All I'm saying is don't buy a Rolls-Royce if a bakkie will do the job you need done. Remember you can't turn a bad quality image into a good one no matter what the software (well I can't anyway), but you can make an average one look better.

btw - if you should go for Elements remember to get the latest version. When I went from Canon 20D to 40D I did not realise that the 40D uses a new generation RAW format and Elements 4.0 could not handle them, so I had to upgrade the software. The latest version, I think it is 6.0, will avoid potential pitfalls on image file-type - until the next generation emerges.

Neil
"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before." (Robert Lynd - Irish essayist and nationalist)

http://www.graybirds.net

JGB
Bustard
World Life List: 0
Home Country Life List: 438
Home Country Photographed: 420
Garden List: 37
Latest Lifers: Retz's Helmet Shrike, Meve's Starling, White-Crowned Lapwing & Tropical Boubou
South Africa

Postby JGB » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:27 am

All I'm saying is don't buy a Rolls-Royce if a bakkie will do the job you need done.

hey a bakkie will in any way get you to birding spots that a Rolls Rouce would not. :D

Birdlover
Bustard
World Life List: 775
Home Country Life List: 759
World Photographed: 389
Home Country Photographed: 378
Garden List: 51
Latest Lifers: Roseate Tern (2011/05/26)
South Africa

Postby Birdlover » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:30 am

Rudolf i use Photoshop CS3 and also Photoshop Elements 7. I agree with Neil .. go for Photoshop Elements 7. It is also more easy to use than Photoshop CS3.
Cheers Philip
My Website : http://philipfry.net/

Johann
Kingfisher
World Life List: 556
Home Country Life List: 556
Home Country Photographed: 0
Latest Lifers: Green-capped Eremomela (Doorndraai dam, Limpopo)
Pallid Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, Common Quail, Common Cuckoo (northern KNP)
South Africa

Postby Johann » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Lightroom also seems to have made its mark over the last few months. Lots of functionality. Quite easy to use. And about R2K the last time I checked (price might have changed in the meantime)
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

superpower
New member!
India

Postby superpower » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:55 am

I also use photoshop software for editing photos i think it contains good enough option to do what you want. other than this some times i use fotor.com for online quick editing purpose.

Return to “Photography techniques”