Best field guide for Uk?

• kiwifoto
  • kiwifoto's Avatar Topic Author
  • White-eye
More
2 years 7 months ago #87189 by kiwifoto
kiwifoto created the topic: Best field guide for Uk?
Hi
We're going to be visiting Wales, Devon & Cornwall this summer and we need to pick up a field guide. (We're not from the UK.)

Any suggestions on the most practical guide for this area?

My son has his eye set on the Princeton Field Guide "Birds of Europe" but I'm concerned this will be too large and have too much coverage for our very specific area. Also, is this illustrated with photos? I prefer guides with drawings/paintings rather than photos.

Anyone recommend the "RSPB Handbook of British Birds" (Holden/Cleeves)?

Or?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #87190 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Best field guide for Uk?
You could also have a look at the Collins Birds of Britain & Europe

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #87194 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Best field guide for Uk?
Gordon's suggestion is certainly one of the best one for Britain and Europe. This is "Collins Bird Guide 2nd Edition - the most complete guide to the birds of Britain and Europe" [ISBN 978-0-00-726814-6].

However if you want a field guide just for the UK I would recommend a photographic guide rather than the RSPB handbook which has hand-drawn plates. For me the best is "Collins Complete Guide to British Birds" by Paul Sterry [ISBN 978-0-00-723686-2], published obviously by Collins. If you want the expense of just one book for the area that you will be in this would be the one to go for.

I actually use all three in conjunction as they each bring different aspects to the fore. For instance, the Collins guide on British birds adds a bar chart showing presence/abundance by month in addition to a distribution map. The Collins guide and the RSPB handbook when used together give a much fuller description of each species. If you really want to see juvenile/male/female winter/summer plumage variations then you will need the Collins European birds book.

Neil

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #87397 by Layzeboy
Layzeboy replied the topic: Re: Best field guide for Uk?
There are many guide, It depends upon your current knowledge.

More
5 months 4 days ago #87425 by tianes
tianes replied the topic: Re: Best field guide for Uk?
I love the first guide, Birds of Europe. It' a legendary book in my opinion.