World Photographed: 0
Home Country Photographed: 0
Garden List: 0
Latest Lifers: African Hawk-Eagle, Short-toed Rock Thrush, Shaft-tailed Whydah
South Africa

South west Victoria

Postby steveclark » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:32 am

G'day all

I've been asked to kick off the Australasian section and thought I'd contribute a few notes about my part of this wide brown land.

Victoria is the second most populous state and is in the south east corner of mainland Australia. I live in the south-west corner of the state and reckon it provides some of the best birding in Australia - right up there with the more well known Cairns, Kakadu, Broome etc.

The key to seeing a lot of birds is to go to a place with diverse habitats close by. South-west Victoria, centred on the small city of Hamilton, boasts pelagic and coastal marine habitats, fresh and saline wetlands, wet and dry eucalypt forests and grasslands. Some 350 species have been identified within an hour or two drive of Hamilton.

Although much of the region has been cleared for agriculture (sheep, cattle and cereal cropping), there are large national parks to explore which cover most habitat types.

South-west Victoria is an easy area to travel in, with an excellent road network and many accommodation options. You are never far from fine wine, great food and a comfortable bed. Camping is an option of course with many beautiful campsites in the National Parks and other bushland areas.

And the birds of course are a major drawcard. Most australian families are represented. Particularly rich are the seabirds, waterfowl, waders, parrots and honeyeaters. Although there are no species endemic to the area there are many you won't find more easily elsewhere. Species such as Black-faced Cormorant, Brolga, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Lewin's Rail, Latham's Snipe, Banded Stilt, Great Skua, Pacific Gull, White-fronted Tern, Brush Bronzewing, Gang-Gang Cockatoo, Long-billed Corella, Blue-winged Parrot, Orange-bellied Parrot, Powerful Owl, Rufous Bristlebird, Bassian Thrush, Brown Songlark, Rose Robin, Rufous Fantail, Southern Emu-wren, Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Speckled Warbler, Brown Treecreeper, Beautiful Firetail and Forest Raven all have the area as a major stronghold - either as residents or migrants.

I have developed a website giving more detail about the region and it's birds - http://members.datafast.net.au/clarkja/sw_birds.htm . Although this is not updated as often as I'd like it would be a good starting point for anyone contemplating a birding trip to Australia.

Hope to see you down this way soon.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia

gordon
Site Admin
World Life List: 822
Home Country Life List: 172
World Photographed: 428
Home Country Photographed: 68
Garden List: 26
Latest Lifers: Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo
Australia

Postby gordon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 am

Thanks Steve for helping with info from your part of the world!

I will add some of the video footage I managed to take from the Brisbane area.

Cheers,
Gordon
Simply Birding
Amazon Author Page

steveclark
Shrike
World Life List: 1957
Home Country Life List: 582
World Photographed: 0
Home Country Photographed: 0
Garden List: 0
Latest Lifers: African Hawk-Eagle, Short-toed Rock Thrush, Shaft-tailed Whydah
South Africa

Re: South west Victoria

Postby steveclark » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

My website has moved (just a tiny bit): http://members.datafast.net.au/~clarkja/swvicbirds/

Steve

gordon
Site Admin
World Life List: 822
Home Country Life List: 172
World Photographed: 428
Home Country Photographed: 68
Garden List: 26
Latest Lifers: Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo
Australia

Re: South west Victoria

Postby gordon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 am